- boyfriend denim shorts (similiar here and here)
- utility knife
- cardboard (width of the leg opening of shorts)
- tailor's chalk
1. Take the tailor's chalk and draw the area you would like to add distress to. I drew two oblong boxes for my distressing. One trick is to find inspiration online or even in your own closet to see what areas and shapes you like best.
2. Add the cardboard to the inside of the leg opening of the shorts. Be sure to keep the pocket out of the way, before cutting. Using the utility knife, cut horizontal, parallel lines within your drawn boxes about 3/8" apart.
3. Throw your shorts in the washing machine, wash as instructed on the care tag. I added a little bit of detergent. Then, toss in the dryer.
4. Pull the indigo fibers using tweezers, leaving the horizontal white fibers. This will create a more natural look to the distressing.