This idea was inspired by the diy envelope clutch and a serious need for a cell phone case. Definitely one of those happy accidents... I love its clean lines and minimal look, every fold and stitch is there for necessity. It also has this surprise effect when closed… you’re not really sure what it holds until it's opened. Turns my cell phone into a ninja… who doesn't love that?
- topstitching thread
- stitching awl
- e6000 glue
1. Print out SwellMayde cell phone case pattern (here) on 8.5" x 11" paper. Make sure to use the original size and do NOT scale image when printing (should fit a variety of phones). Lay pattern over leather, tape in place.
2. Use stitching awl to poke holes as marked on the pattern.
3. Cut out pattern.
4. Hand stitch using thick topstitch thread around outer edge of . You can find a video tutorial (here). Or the edgestitch can be sewn using your home sewing machine and simply skip step 2.
5. Overlap left and right sides and ine up the poked holes. Sew together, knot ends.
6. Put a dab of e6000 glue to bottom edge (leather side up).
7. Tuck flap inside, and hold in place so glue sets in.
8. Voila! A SwellMayde DIY Envelope Cell Phone Case.